Advanced Life Support Course
Teaches theory and practical skills to effectively treat cardiorespiratory arrest, peri-arrest situations and special circumstances. Prepares senior members of a multidisciplinary team to treat a patient until transfer to a critical care area.
Who is the course suitable for
Doctors, Nurses working in critical care areas (e.g. A&E, CCU, ICU, HDU, operating theatres or medical admissions unit) or on the cardiac arrest / medical emergency team and paramedics. All applicants should hold a current clinical appointment and professional healthcare qualification.
The course is delivered through lectures, skill stations, workshops, discussions, demonstration and is follow up with an assessment, course covers:
- Advanced life support in perspective
- Causes and prevention of cardiac arrest
- Acute coronary syndromes
- ALS treatment algorithm
- Post resuscitation care?
- Airway management
- Monitoring thythm recognition and 12-lead ECG
- Initial assessment and resuscitation
- Tachycardias and bradycardias
- Blood gases
- Cardiac arrest in special circumstances
- Cardiac arrest management
- Legal aspects
- Concept of role-play and simulated cardiac arrest management
- Assessment of the critically ill patient
- Shockable / non-shockable algorithms
- Positive critiquing and team leadership skills
- Clinical scenarios
For further information on the course please visit www.resus.org.uk